LENNOX AND ARGYLL BATTALION
THE BOYS’ BRIGADE
The Boys’ Brigade was founded in Glasgow by William A Smith in 1883 and spread rapidly, initially in Glasgow but soon in the surrounding area and by 1885 there were at least six Companies in the present Battalion’s area.
Lennox and Argyll Battalion was formed in 1997 by the Brigade’s desire to rationalise the number of Battalions. Three adjoining Battalions agreed to amalgamate namely Lennox, Clydebank and District and Milngavie and Bearsden.
Lennox Battalion was formed in 1926 and comprised ten companies in Dumbarton, Bonhill, Alexandria, Renton, Jamestown and Helensburgh.
Clydebank and District Battalion had twelve companies spread between various church denominations in the town and the surrounding area, including Dalmuir, Faifley, Duntocher and Old Kilpatrick.
Milngavie and Bearsden Battalion had nine companies and included Drymen, Balfron and Killearn.
The name of the new Battalion was chosen as it covered the area of the Earldom of Lennox and also had responsibility for outlying companies in Argyll.
The Battalion Headquarters are located in Smollett Street, Alexandria. The hall there was built in 1961 for Lennox Battalion. The then Battalion President, John Whitelaw, persuaded local dignitaries to contribute funds for its construction.
The Battalion supports companies by providing a wide variety of activities and events for all Sections including Drill, Bible Knowledge Quiz, Ten Pin Bowling, Badminton and Table Tennis, model making and sports competitions. Help is given to Boys preparing for their President’s Badges, Queen’s Badges and Duke of Edinburgh Award.
Hon. Vice President